As soon as the seasons change from Winter to Spring, homeowners everywhere start the Spring cleaning epidemic! Whether it’s that junk drawer in the kitchen or a basement full of stuff you’ve been collecting for years, we all have a space in our homes that could use a de-clutter.
Don’t worry though, we have come up with a great set of tips on organizing your home the environmentally friendly way. I know that most homeowners can benefit from tips on organization—and learning how to do it the green way is even better!
- Be sure you dispose of harmful products and chemical properly. Whether it is leftover paint or dead batteries, making sure that they don’t end up in our landfills can make a huge difference. Taking them all in one trip to a disposal facility will also make the job easier.
- Donate unwanted clothes and household items. This is a great way to reduce the number of items we add to our landfills, and is also an excellent way to contribute to a local charity.
- Have a garage sale or sell items online. This is another great way to find a new home for your unwanted items, and will make you “greener” in more ways than one!
- Fix broken items. Rather than replacing broken items such as tools or appliances by purchasing new ones, consider fixing them instead. Find a new purpose for items. Whether it is craft supplies for the kids, or getting creative yourself, there are lots of ways you can find a use for most of your forgotten but once loved items.
- Use green cleaning products. Once you have all the clutter out of the way, be sure that you use environmentally-friendly cleaning products. Also be sure to store your newly organized items in recycled storage containers.